Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by SuperCub
This thread is funny ........

It supposes that we are currently seeing the wrath of God because of our current level of social depravity. By saying that, we might also suppose that if we were "good" people (and do good works) we might be good enough to escape the wrath of God and be deserving enough to escape hell. There is nothing in us that can ever approach the righteousness required for that and our supposition that we can do-good ourselves into heaven is a lie from the pit.

It is only the grace of God through the cross that can save us.
Agreed. To me, grace is the hallmark of the Christian experience, and the moment one starts trying to earn it...through good works or circumcision or law keeping or anything else from that old covenant...one has done away with grace.

2 Chronicles 7
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

This has been going through my mind during this discussion. It's entirely where we are at today. I agree with you guys that everything we could ever hope for is by God's grace and Jesus Blood on the cross. Jesus paid the price for my sin but I still have a part to play and the scripture lets us know what that part it.

James 2
4What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? 15If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 16And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? 17Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. 19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 20But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

So, in my opinion, we have a roll in what happens to us and to those around us. We don't earn grace or salvation but when we receive it we have a desire to do things that please God. These are works. The motive is the key. Do you do good things because you want to look good or do you do them because you want God to be pleased with your life. Love God...Love thy neighbor.

Jesus Christ did away with the Old Testament sacrifices and rituals, the veil was ripped from top to bottom. That ended the old and began the new. We still need the old testament though. Just look at how many times Paul reached back to it in his preaching. And all of the great miracles done during that time. Just read about Elijah and Elisha. Then how the Red Sea was parted then later the Jordan river.