Originally Posted by RinB
I have noticed that the hole in the lower half is usually not round. Was told they were intentionally made that way and it was a “design feature”.

It's not just the bottoms...the tops have the same 'pinch point' at the parting lines.

Talley LW's are extruded aluminum. And being an extrusion, the flex that happens at this pinch point gets transferred throughout the ring/base, which can lead to cracks. Combine that with over tightening and you can have failures (in some instances) as well as pinched scope tubes. Once a few minutes are taken to address this, they're a darn good setup.

It's an easy matter to lap the 'pinch' out of the Talley LW's. It's done on every set that gets worked on here.

Here's a 1" lapping bar set into virgin Talley LW's...you can clearly see where the 'pinch' is and that the lapping bar doesn't contact the bottom of the rings. You can see that the bases have previously been bedded to the receiver for maximum contact:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Doesn't take much equipment to straighten 'em out:

Relieve the parting line on the tops with a small file to eliminate the pinch point:

100% contact, no breakage, no tweaked scope tubes, no tracking issues because of scope damage.

It always works. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner