Originally Posted by shootem
Just to poop the party:

FAQS
Can I lap Talley mounts?

We do not recommend lapping any of our mounts. Since they are machined, it really eliminates the need to do so. Since the lightweight mounts are horizontally split, you can lap if you would like. We highly advise against lapping our steel rings. Since they are a vertically split ring, lapping can knock them out of round. Our Picatinny rings, although horizontal split, do not need lapped either. They are a match grade ring and are perfectly round when they come off the machine. Note: If you lap any Talley rings, it will void any return policy since the mounts have been modified

See? No problem.

Yep, when Talley can also guarantee that all receivers are identical in profile to the one they used to model their bases after and when they can guarantee that the mounting holes are correctly drilled and are identical, and in perfect alignment, on all receivers then I will stop lapping them. Until then I will lap every set I get to assure that they line up correctly on my receiver with the mounting holes I have.