Al:

I don't disagree with the efficacy of your methods; however, to me, it seems like a lot to go through to still have something that might fail from the normal stresses of doing its job. The material they use is brittle - examples of this are all over this thread and many like it - and it seems to have trouble holding up to the myriad directional stresses intrinsic to securing a scope to a rifle. Further, these sort of chronic stress problems seem to manifest themselves when the item is being used in a way that changes the normal stress dynamic on the materials, such as being bounced/carried around during a week of hunting vs sitting in gun safe.

Certainly some of the problems are due to over torquing; but it still doesn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy about the fact that a few extra inch lbs might bring about catastrophic failures at inopportune times.

The ring strap I had trouble with didn't exhibit different pinch points; both rings clamped evenly around the scope right from the package. I always check alignment with a straight edge across the bases and a lapping bar through the rings.

Ultimately, I'm sure the Talley LW can be made more serviceable with some well informed attention to detail; but, this treatment doesn't fundamentally change their nature. In my experiences, there's plenty of options out there that don't require much or any de stressing to be as solid as they can be, and are more robustly built from outset.