Originally Posted by rj308
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Originally Posted by shootem
Just to poop the party:

FAQS
Can I lap Talley mounts?

We do not recommend lapping any of our mounts. Since they are machined, it really eliminates the need to do so. Since the lightweight mounts are horizontally split, you can lap if you would like. We highly advise against lapping our steel rings. Since they are a vertically split ring, lapping can knock them out of round. Our Picatinny rings, although horizontal split, do not need lapped either. They are a match grade ring and are perfectly round when they come off the machine. Note: If you lap any Talley rings, it will void any return policy since the mounts have been modified

See? No problem.

Yep, when Talley can also guarantee that all receivers are identical in profile to the one they used to model their bases after and when they can guarantee that the mounting holes are correctly drilled and are identical, and in perfect alignment, on all receivers then I will stop lapping them. Until then I will lap every set I get to assure that they line up correctly on my receiver with the mounting holes I have.

I agree with you VaHunter. except to eliminate having to lap the rings, I install the rings on a virgin lapping bar and bed them with epoxy (no release agent) to the receiver over headless base screws with only tape or surgical rubber tubing pressure. Then I remove the lapping bar and headless base screws install and torque the ring to receiver screws. With Talley saying you don't need to lap the lightweights, it makes you wonder if they even understand about rifle manufacturing tolerances. RJ

I tried to do what you did on a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight but I did not have the headless base screws so I just installed the screws lightly and used the lapping bar and a large elastic band to hold the assembly down to the receiver. Somehow I screwed it up and ran out of windage on the scope and had to redo it with another set and lapping them. I plan to give your method another try now that I think I know where I went wrong.

As far as Talley, I think they have this policy of no lapping needed to cover themselves when rings are overlapped, or to overcome the perception that their rings are not machined correctly and need lapping. They got to know that all rifles have tolerances that vary greatly in both reciever contour and mounting hole alignment, or maybe I am wrong and like you said they may not understand machining tolerances. I will continue to lap them.

Last edited by VaHunter; 03/06/21.