A kid grew up just down the road from me. His folks were great people. He was not. After he gets grown up he decides to be a cop and applied to the adjoining county for a deputy job. He got hired. My best friend had been a deputy there for 30 years. He was telling this dude got hired and wanted to know if I knew him. To make this story short this young guy threatened to kill his parents when they asked him to move out, he was in his early 20s then. I told my friend about this and even told him others that heard the same threat as I did, he made it in public. The sheriff kept him on despite finding this out. Is that good? I think not.

Then another neighbor kid applied for the Springfield, Mo. police dept. The dept. sent a private investigator here, 4 1/2 hour drive away to ask his neighbors about him. I was one of them he spoke with. I had nothing but high praises for this young man. Everyone around here did as he was a fine person. They earned my respect for vetting this guy the way they did. The other sheriff in the other hiring did not.