Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I like lightweight boots for hiking. My heavy boots are pacs and swampers that are for other purposes.

For general hiking I like trail runners. I want something sturdy enough that my feet are well protected but I’ve never found myself needing the ankle support of a boot even back when I wore hiking boots. The freedom of movement and nimbleness in a shoe height hiker along with not having sweaty ankles is more than worth it to me.

That's me pretty much word for word.

Moreover, starting about 25, maybe 30 years ago, I began developing heel spurs. They've been surgically repaired so they are no longer ripping my achilles tendons open from the bottom (Haglund's Deformity) but I still have very protruding heel knobs. I cannot wear high top boots with the standard fairly vertical back anymore. I'm good for a couple hundred yards then my feet are disabled, trashed, for a period of days. Mediums are marginally better, I can go a couple miles a day or 3-4 miles then sit for a couple days to recover. With low tops I'm good for .. well, my heels aren't a hindrance anyway. I've done 20+ a number of times without problems .. or without heel problems. 20+ kicks my geezerly arse. Among low tops, weight does have an impact so far as fatigue. Lighter is mostly better but not taken to extremes. A shoe with good cushion will be heavier than one with none. There are good ounces and bad ounces.

The shoes I hike (and hunt, and fish, and explore, and whatever else) are mostly around a pound a pair. I've got some down around 6-7 ounces for the pair but they have no padding at all. They have a place but it isn't every place.

For general purpose, wear around town, wear on the trails, wear off in the woods, for me Merrell MOAB Ventillator low tops get the nod most of the time. If things are wet, I will switch to the waterproof version. I have a couple pair of mid height that I wear about 2 hours a year. For wet grass 'n' stuff I go with the waterproof low tops and gaiters. The only time I really NEED boots anymore are with snow shoes.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...