Luxury items I carried:

Glock 43 9mm with (1) magazine for 7 rounds total. CYA carbon holster. 23 oz. It was a PITA flying with this.

A high-end Tenkara rod my dad gave me prior to the trip, with a very small tackle kit comprised of several Panther Martin spinners and some flies;

$5 el-cheapo (but very light because they are crapola, haha) camp sandals patterned after the original Teva’s. I’m wearing them in the pic up above, somewhere, where I’m sitting down.

A cork ball about the size of a tennis ball, for rolling knots out of tissues. This thing saved my butt on the JMT a few years ago when I was still battling plantar fasciitis in one foot and a fibular plateau injury in my calf that was horking my knee. However I never used it on this trip because frankly, my “grandpa” body felt great! We mailed some stuff home from I think Silver City. This was among that.

My sleeping pad system. This is a whole story in itself, a tale of woe and despair and futility and redemption, haha. I’m going to resurrect an old thread I started years ago to talk about this. Anyway, started out with a Big Agnes inflatable that definitely qualified as a luxury item.

A thin beanie cap I wore at night while sleeping. It froze many times on this trip. I was glad for the beanie.

A few joints and a tiny plastic bottle of highly concentrated tincture I made.

I think that’s about it unless one counts a spare pair of underwear as a luxury item. My clothes in general were very limited. I had hiking shorts, the blue capilene leggings, and Kuhl running pants for my lower half. That’s it. I figured I lived my first 22 years in NM without rain pants so why change now. Up top I had the sun shirt, a very thin black fleece, the REI down puffy in the pic above somewhere, and a Frogg Toggs ultralight jacket. And a canvas Carhartt hat. In the storm and snow at 10k+ feet going over San Pedro Parks I was wishing I had a) my trusty old midweight capilene shirt and b) a more sturdy (and thus dependable) jacket. I think I’m going to go with an Anti-Gravity Gear jacket, which is NOT breathable but IS waterproof and much tougher.

We got really stinky at times but we’ve been together since 1988 so, y’know.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 05/30/23.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!