Always enjoy your posts, Dwayne. Good on ye. đź‘Ť

I think that while it’s true footwear is highly personal, and that it’s a multi-variable equation with different terrain, body issues, seasons, geography, and so on, all factoring in, it’s still true that the evolution of hiking footwear has moved forward considerably in recent years and gifted us with some pretty cool options.

I’m in my late 50’s and in some ways, “my issues have issues”, so I’m certainly empathetic towards the idea that for some folks protecting weak areas of the body is key. I do think though that we all got it drummed into our heads since we were wee lads that you have to have “boots” to protect your ankles. With the disclaimer that my ankles are a strong and historically problem-free part of my legs, I disagree AND I think if the goal is protect one’s ankles, at the very least, guys should train in light hikers to strengthen the various pieces and parts that comprise lower leg functionality- which does go far beyond ankles. The goal should be to not need to protect them, it should be to have fully functional legs.

Again though, I’m not dogmatic here; I’m currently a bit hobbled because I just pulled a quad hopping into the bed of my truck to access the top of the roof to wash off pollen. WTF?! I couldn’t even tell you the last time I pulled a quad. Maybe never! So guys gotta do what they gotta do, but it’s my sincere hope that they don’t let the high cost of admission (these newfangled shoes are amazing, but they ain’t cheap) and the aspersions cast by certain folks still stuck in a past era, keep them from giving them a try.

Trekking poles are another issue of this type. Any older person who hasn’t tried them for “political” reasons is making a huge mistake. I truly doubt I could’ve done the big hikes I’ve done in the last few years without them. I’ll save further thoughts on them for a dedicated thread if there ever is one here.

Happy trails to everyone and I truly hope folks find ways to keep on truckin’.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FĂśCK PUTIN!