I agree with this, but you could also get on Medicine Bow National Forrest about 20 miles west of Glendo and shoot to your hearts content -- of Course We'd have to set up our own range to do it. Another idea would be just to set up the camp over here on Horseshoe creek and stay away from the lake altogether -- that's what I do and I live here.

KC, I've been away from the computer a while, and to try to answer some of your questions, I agree with wyoelk about the shooting around either of these lakes -- just around the lakes, there are options away from the lakes that are doable though.

As far as camping goes, there are RV hookups and all of that stuff at Guernsey and Glendo. Those places look like mobile home parks on the way in to either place -- you park right between two other trailers and call it camping-- if you want to go on into the lake and not stay in the trailer court there are a lot better places along the shores, but now you need to be self-contained and run on a generator if you want to be plugged in.

Like I said above, I usually avoid these places anymore, so much has changed in the last 20 years -- it's part of Colorado as far as I am concerned. Those of us in this part of Wyoming, for the most part, have a lot better options.

I am not sure entirely how the camping areas at the lakes work anymore either -- I think you get a numbered place at the ticket windows and can request to go to a certain area if available. I think you can also, at the time tell them that you and the three vehicles behind you all want to be adjacent, or something like that -- I really don't know if we could get ten or twenty spots all in a row like we would need.

Back to Horseshoe where we could shoot all that we wanted -- the roads are gravel for the last 20 or more miles to get here, but not that bad -- we could all park wherever and however we chose, shoot our guns, have our fires, let our dogs run around, not be told to turn down the stereo, or whatever.

But for this you don't get picknick tables, fire rings, or outhouses, let alone plugins or sewer hookups -- these are the kind of places you can find me most of the summer weekends (Well probably not right here at Horseshoe creek, as it is overfished in this public area, unless you want to hike a little farther than 90% of everybody else did -- now you're getting close to where I might be, but on a different creek wink ) Still fishing shouldn't be a complete strike out here either, just not something to boast about.

I know we can't have directions to this get together, end with, " . . .then you get out of your truck and walk the last ten miles", though either! laugh

Another option nearby would be Greyrocks Res. 10 or so miles South of Guernsey -- This is a hot walleye lake for boaters and most of Colorado hasn't found it yet (Don't go telling them either wink ) I know a great place to shoot within ten minutes of this lake, but again we'd still have to set up our own -- camping is back to self contained here so bring your tables and stuff, but you still park where and how you like.

I am in favor of the Saratoga idea myself too now though -- Cody is cool, but as you can see, I try to stay away from the tourists as much as I can, and I promise you all that that can not be done around Cody, or Jackson Hole, in the summer very well. There are more things to do in these touristy areas though, that's why the tourists are there too. wink

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!