So I've been on the lookout for either a 7wsm or 7 rem mag in either a Kimber Montana or Winchester Extreme Weather to use for deer in my new stand that overlooks a huge bean field and for when we go out for muley's in Colorado next year. I realize a lightweight rifle like a Montana isnt ideal for a bean field rifle but it'll also be lugged around and walked with a lot out in Colorado so i do want a lightweight gun, plus i am used to light rifles and shoot my other Montana's and EW just fine. I recently read a little about the 280 and im starting to get the bug! I also seen that Kimber had that new, suoer light Mountain Ascent that's chambered in 280 AI so i really think im going to start trying to get one. I know there aren't many, if any out there for sale so if i don't find one soon I'll probably have the LGS order one from Kimber. They're so far behind right now though when i was trying to find a Montana in 338 fed i looked for over 4 month's and finally had LGS call Kimber and they said 8-12 month's! Luckily a NIB one popped up on GB and i got it.
Anyway, what do you guys that have 280's think about them? Would you prefer one over a 7 mag? How's the recoil, what other cartridge would you compare it to? And lastly, i could use normal 280 ammo in the mountain ascent and it would "fireform" the brass so it could then be loaded as a 280 AI?

Thank you,
Cory