This is just me, so take it for what it's worth.

I've been around a Mtn Ascent, it's not for me as it's just too darn light. As well I'm not a fan of brakes on a gun.

If I got an 84L as seductive as the 280 AI is I'd more than likely go with one of the standard rounds. For me the 06 and or 270 or 25/06 would do me quite well. And for me I'd prefer a skosh more barrel weight on these rigs as well. Give me another 5 oz or so and a tube that goes .6" at the mzl at 23" and I'd be a happy camper. That's just part of the reason that the Forbes rifles intrigue me and I think think they're gonna balance the way I like (weight forward) as well I feel that they're gonna shoot balls out!!

One challenge I've seen with the 280 AI rounds over the last decade or so is that most guys buy them with the paradigm that it's an equivalent to a 7 RM. Now by my way thinking it isn't that and shouldn't be pushed to those lengths. But pretty much day in and day out I see the 280AI leaned on just so someone can say yepper by gosh I knew it was a 7 RM...

Best of luck to you in your decision. Personally, for me there's better ways to go and to tell you the truth there was a day from moons ago when I wouldn't of thought that way.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy