Interesting topic... I've been reading this and many other threads on this site for a while, but just now felt compelled to jump in. I have a 280AI and love it. It's my first custom built rifle. I wanted something "different". Something that you can't go to any gun shop and buy. Something that you can't order on-line. Part of this plan was a unique caliber as well. It's built with a SAAMI spec chamber. I currently shoot 140gr Nosler Accubonds @ 3215 fps using 62.5 gr of RL22. Is it a 7mm mag? No. Is it close? Yes. I acknowledge that the 7mm Mag will beat it by a little bit in most ways, but I don't care, and neither do the animals I shoot with it. It's still an excellent caliber. I wanted something that most others don't have and I got it with the 280AI. Obviously it's not for everyone as the controversy in this thread confirms. But that's OK. We all have different tastes. If I had wanted a "standard" caliber that gave similar results I might have built a 7mm Mag, but that's not what I wanted. I have other rifles in "standard" calibers but felt the need to be a little bit different.
BP

Last edited by BP736; 12/05/12.