Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I most cases Reloader 22 will reach higher velocities

Bob my friend you kind of just proved my point with the article posted. I get 3315 out of 140's and 3050 with 162's.

So my rifle is doing 50-65fps faster then the authors and I'm using what he admits is a faster powder with less pressure.

Again I respect you sir but that articles matches my claims to a "T"

Mallard please do me a favor and don't pull my quotes out of context for the purpose of proving your "point".

What I should have explained but did not take the time to do ( and what I meant) is that Rl22 and similar double based propellants will frequently continue to add more velocity as you add more powder with a corresponding increase in pressure,although you will not see it until you have gone too far....only modern brass is saving you even though you are already WELL over te top...unlike some single based propellants like H4831, which will hit a velocity "wall", and give little to no velocity increases as charges are increased.Your chronograph tells you this is going on with both types of powders.

R22 shares this characteristic with sveral others that are similar...Norma 205, MRP, R19,the old and now gone H205.I have worked with them all and seen this deomnstrated numerous times.

You get away with this crap for awhile, thinking everything is OK,and then one day...POW...I have blown two primers in 40 years of handloading...one with H205 and the other with R22 in the 280.

Back in the 80's a few nuts were using N205 to push 140 gr bullets from the 7x57 in excess of 3000 fps...much the same trash I see among you 280AI users today.So it isn't like any of this nonsense is new;it was junk data then with the 7x57,and this is junk data now..

Anyone with any degree of experiences with the double based powders and similar slow burning single based powders in the same cases know this stuff.

So I did not 'prove" any of your contentions and if you are loading like the second guy whose article I posted all I can say is good luck to you....you're one of the 280AI loaders I'm talking about.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/01/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.