Originally Posted by nsaqam
I'm using pressure tested, published loads and not exceeding the maximum charge to get the speeds I do.

Keep printing those numbers.....You don't have a clue what pressures you're running to get those speeds in your rifle...all you can do is read about it and "assume" unless the pressures are measured in "your" rifle.

I can tell you don't have that much experience doing this because you keep pointing to printed data like it's gospel, and it isn't...you have a touching and abiding faith in what you read and you believe it....sure sign of someone who doesn't know WTF they are talking about.

Shod, go read some more....come back and talk to me after you've poured over data for another 20+ years and compared it to real life chronograph data in 25-30 7mm barrels...then I'll listen.

nsaqam you're right...I have never owned a 280AI,only two levels above and below it several times over....and I bet I had chronographed and worked up loads for more 7 mags by the time I was 30 than you have in your whole life.Bet you have had exactly "one".

To be blunt, I never could justify the cartridge because a close pal on here(whose forgotten more about 280's and 280AI's than you'll EVER know),always provided me data 25-30 years ago from two versions of Improved 280's...the Ackley and the RCBS.... and we both said..."Well, that thing ain't worth it" smirk LOL!

Fred Huntington (you guys know him don't you? He founded RCBS) tried the cartridge back in the 60's IIRC,and dropped it...not worth it over a standard 280,certainly not worth it in light of the 7 Rem Mag...

Anybody recall Johnny B running 280AI factory ammo with 140AB over a chronograph?I do...it gave a whopping 3040 fps....and the 280AI is their baby!What happened to the 65,000 pressure ceiling with that one LOL!

Besides, I've had Ackley's stuff sitting around since the 70's....I never paid any attention to what he wrote because he didn't hunt.All he did was sit around popping primers and "guessing" with his wildcats anyway.I never considered his inventions worth shidt.

Why would I waste the money on a custom wildcat that gives a 150 gr bullet 3050 fps? I can run to Walmart, pick up a box of CoreLokts for a 7 Rem Mag and have the same thing.

Besides that, I have a 280AI...it's my fireform load for the Mashburn with 140's tired grin...you can bet I ain't running 65,000 psi to get Ackley performance. cool

Goofiest cartridge comparison and number juggling I ever heard....using a longer barrel,and higher pressures to proclaim a cartridge of smaller capacity as somehow superior to a larger one with a shorter barrel....when you don't even know what pressures you're actually running, and failing to acknowledge that barrels vary enormously in delivered velocities, rifle to rifle....if you ladies haven't figured that out yet, you really don't know shidt.

You still have no explanation for the Nosler Data....you clowns who question Noslers lab,get real.

My problem isn't with the 280AI, even if it is mostly mundane hocus pocus with no real advantage over a 280 or 270...it's with SOME of the idiots who use it and make wild-assed claims for it,thinking it's the second coming.

Stay with it Ladies! wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.