Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Bob,

Not at all attempting to misquote you and of you read it that wayy apologies. I am just trying to honestly understand where you feel people like me have pushed too far.

As i read it, the poster of the article said R22 would give more velocity before pressures climbed then 4350 or 4831. That is in line with what the books say, what I have read and my experiences.

You say I'm well over the top yet my loads are at or under book max in several books and within 50-65 fps of book speeds. Is up to 65fps really that big of an indicator of a problem or not in the realm of being an acceptable variance in different barrels?

I don't ever try to push past what I read is a safe load and have worked up to. I am trying to understand how i am "well over" when my loads are like I said within what i consider an acceptable speed variance of book loads and countless loads posted online going back years.

No I will not push it past 3315 and may even take a bit of powder out of it if there is some compelling reason too but I haven't seen one yet except claims only that my velocity is too high.

Ackleyfan,

No I do not have my own pressure measuring device but do know for a fact that I get none of the well established pressure signs I.E. hard bolt lift, flat primers, extractor marks etc. After 7 loadings my primer pockets are still nice and tight, case head measurements show no sign of stretching and the 3 pieces of brass I have cut apart show no thinning anywhere.

So yes your correct in that no one can tell me for sure what the pressure is in my rifle. All I can go on is I'm following book load that I worked up to and everything that I can check in regards to pressure signs seems normal to me.

Guys, I'm not too hard headed as to think I know it all, nor too old to learn if someone has advice or an explanation. I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around claims that I've pushed it too far based simply on velocity yet nothing I can see says so.

As I said everything I have read tells me I'm near the top end but can find nothing that tells me I'm over.

Also is it possible that my barrel being a 3 groove has anything to do with my speeds being higher? Do they possibly create less pressure? I have 3 other 3 grooves in the safe and all of them reach book speeds typically at 1-1.5 grs under max and again with no pressure signs that I can see.

Like I said guys I'm all ears but I need a bit more then just my speed means my load is unsafe.

My 280AI is the only gun that has never shown any signs of pressure whatsoever, I have a custom 270 win and 2- 300 win mags that come up to speed .5-1 grs under max any higher and I start to see ejector marks mostly, primer pocket loosening and velocity over what most manuals say I should get...so are you over pressure? I believe you are but your right I have about as much proof as you do, you keep saying you haven't seen any "pressure signs" and what I'm saying is your not likely to see any with this case design and it's reduced bolt thrust....edited to add "until a case or primer lets go"

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 12/01/12.