I have no dog in this fight but have read through the whole thread. Personally I am a plain jane 280 fan. This looks like a 270 vs 280 debate, are either really better than the other?

I did go to Nosler#6 to see what all the fuss was about and to be honest can not understand why Nosler uses different barrel lengths between the two. This goes across the board from the 7mm-08, is all I need and an efficient little round to boot, through 7mm RUM. To me if we are going to truly compare cartridge to cartridge then use the same barrel length or at least most common barrel length for each cartridge, really how many 7mm-08's and 280 rem's are out there with 26" barrels. At least they use the same twist rates smile

Now in their data they are running the 280 AI with a 26" tube and 7mm RM with a 24", safe to assume that the RM is losing 50-75 FPS in barrel length. Quick comparison using the 160 gr partition which to me is the type of bullet the bigger cartridges are used for. Take Rel 22, 7mm RM maxes at 3058, 280AI at 3035, even deducting the 2" of barrel,are we even talkin 100 fps? Nope

Again, all this back and forth and I doubt any animal or shooter for that matter could tell the difference. Recoil effects, the powder difference in the above is 2.5 grs of powder and my guess the 280AI is going to be built into a lighter package, so the recoil advantage is nil.

Me, I can't decide if I have a stronger affection for my 7-08 or 280 rem and now looking at a 7x57. Where and what I hunt, the 7-08 but if I needed more than the 280, I would take a strong look at the 280AI I also think if you really want to compare and argue a strong case could also be made for either of the short mags.

All said and done, you're really arguing apples to apples here

Last edited by ChipM; 11/30/12.