the shootist;
I trust that this finds you and yours well this cool final morning of August Brother Keith.

I'd add that our initial tests of the 130gr GMX from Hornady have been very positive as well, so if one is into monometal bullets then there is that option too.

We've been lucky here since a few members of our family hunt, we process our own game and help friends do theirs as well that we get to do semi formal autopsies on carcasses that other hunters couldn't manage in several lifetimes.

Sometimes the results can be surprising, which is why my statement that I don't pay much attention to the hole in the barrel or the cartridge much anymore came to be.

For instance we've seen more penetration on deer sized animals - after breaking major bones too mind you - on the marvelous little 80gr TTSX fired from a .250AI than we got out of two samples of 220gr. RN Hornady fired from a .308 Norma (one moose, one first rack whitetail)

I will say that the monometals don't seem to drop an animal as quickly on average with a picture perfect broadside lung shot where only ribs are hit.

If however as AB2506 said one is forced to shoot at the south end of a north running deer - which if it's been hit already I could see happening - then the monometal choice or a partition will give one an edge over a cup and core.

Anyway, there'll always be a lot of debate on this subject and our opinions are only that - just opinions and worth only what they cost one to read. smile

All the best to you and yours Brother Keith and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"