Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by SAKO75
in sask most shots for non-resident aliens are 150 yards or less so a magnum is for ego IMO

Well.....maybe. But I have killed a couple at 300-350 yards up there. Others at shorter distances.I have used a 300 magnum on them and ego had not a thing to do with it.It just completely overwhelmed them.

Mostly I have used a 270 up there but don't kid myself that it's as potent a cartridge as a 300 magnum. It simply isn't. Neither is a 308.

Bob no offense but please tell me what outfitter in Saskatchewan sets up his bait at 300 yards so I can avoid them

Maybe you meant Alberta truck hunting where the typical spray and pray over the hood of the truck takes place or your placed on the gas line with no bait and no time for binoculars. I clearly stated non resident alien in "sask", as you know they cannot hunt farmland. Bait is typically 100-160 yards. If one can't get complete penetration through a deer with a 308 at those ranges then maybe they need something else

My guide and his dad use 243 with 85 tsx. They've killed plenty b&c deer and even elk and moose with the lowly 243 and they are lifelong residents of "sask"

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984