Originally Posted by BC30cal

While I've never guided, I know a bunch of locals who do and overwhelmingly the most consistent complaint about visiting hunters is that they take too long to shoot from field positions.
Dwayne

Not just field positions, also off the bench as well. I've noticed on the first afternoon all the hunters usually shoot their targets off the outfitters bench to ensure their rifles are still on. Some of these guys create anxiety in me just watching. I start thinking is their safety on, do they not realize the waiting line behind them is getting longer, why the hell don't they shoot,etc.? Some of these guys take as long to fire at a target as the hunters on television waiting for an animal to stop browsing!

I don't know if there is one answer, but I suspect they came into hunting later in life as an adult who didn't shoot rabbits with a .22 when they were in their early teens, and who never shotgunned doves or ducks on the wing.

I also agree with what you said about a whitetail encounter being very brief, maybe until the count of 5, good stuff! Does and small bucks may stand around but the big trophy bucks we all want are almost always on the move in and out of brush or darting from doe to doe, or just disappearing.

Last edited by StrayDog; 09/30/13.