Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
In my time guiding other hunters, I've seen more critters run away from .300 Magnums than .243's. Bullet construction and where the bullet lands seems to make a lot more difference than caliber or cartridge...

This comment intrigues me, I have known a LOT of guides and some "G-Os" here in BC and a couple in AB, over more than 50 years and I have NEVER heard any of them make a commment like this.

I have no idea of your age, actual field guiding experience and am not into trying to harass or in any respect deride you, but, do you mean to tell us that you have seen MORE Moose, Elk and "trophy" bucks ...run away... from hunters shooting .300 Mags. than from those with .243Win. rifles? In short, are you stating that a .300, given equal placement is inferior to a .243?

I must disagree, I see considerably greater effect from a shot with a .300 Mag. or .338WM than from smaller bored rifles, although the bullets DO have considerable effect in any bore size/velocity range.

I have shot good bull Elk, right through the lungs at 200ish yds. and they barely moved for some moments., this with my favoured .338WM-250NP-2800-mv. Are, you going to tell me that the two .243s I used to have before I began to sell my far too numerous guns would have actually knocked them over?

Again, this is NOT to start some crap, it just really interests me to read what others think.