Originally Posted by kutenay
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
In my time guiding other hunters, I've seen more critters run away from .300 Magnums than .243's. Bullet construction and where the bullet lands seems to make a lot more difference than caliber or cartridge...

Do you mean to tell us that you have seen MORE Moose, Elk and "trophy" bucks ...run away... from hunters shooting .300 Mags. than from those with .243Win. rifles?

Yes.

Originally Posted by kutenay

In short, are you stating that a .300, given equal placement is inferior to a .243?

No.

The difference in results that I've witnessed between .243 bullets and those from .300's, was due to the fact that placement wasn't always equal. As you said, very few of today's average riflemen are conditioned enough to shoot .300's well despite the high level of recoil, as where most anybody with some marksmanship skill can shoot the .243 without subconsciously allowing the pending recoil to distract them from proper shooting technique.

More accurate shooting from .243 rifles has accounted for fewer critters running away than less accurate shooting from .300's, in my observation and experience. This goes for all big game animals, whether trophy or not.