Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by SAKO75
in sask most shots for non-resident aliens are 150 yards or less so a magnum is for ego IMO

Well.....maybe. But I have killed a couple at 300-350 yards up there. Others at shorter distances.I have used a 300 magnum on them and ego had not a thing to do with it.It just completely overwhelmed them.

Mostly I have used a 270 up there but don't kid myself that it's as potent a cartridge as a 300 magnum. It simply isn't. Neither is a 308.

Bob no offense but please tell me what outfitter in Saskatchewan sets up his bait at 300 yards so I can avoid them

Maybe you meant Alberta truck hunting where the typical spray and pray over the hood of the truck takes place or your placed on the gas line with no bait and no time for binoculars. I clearly stated non resident alien in "sask", as you know they cannot hunt farmland. Bait is typically 100-160 yards. If one can't get complete penetration through a deer with a 308 at those ranges then maybe they need something else

My guide and his dad use 243 with 85 tsx. They've killed plenty b&c deer and even elk and moose with the lowly 243 and they are lifelong residents of "sask"

Sako: First off, no I do not mean Alberta (where I have hunted several times and never killed a buck from the truck).We do use trucks to get from place to place because it beats walking 20-30 miles. smile

Second, I understand that people use 243's and 25's for a lot of hunting and I understand they kill stuff.Even some stuff out of their intended class.

What I meant is, there is not a thing in the world "wrong" with using a 300 magnum up there (if you want)because they are among the best category of cartridge for killing BG animals here and worldwide,including Canadian whitetails, if you want.

I have used mostly a 270 in Central Canada, but have also used 300's and 7 mags up there.Pointed correctly 300's are superb killers...Their only drawback (for some, not all folks)is that they recoil substantially. This does not mean they are not great cartridges and among the very best for killing BG animals, especially so at long range....use one enough and you will see this.

Pointed right, they dump big whitetails on their noses. wink

I don't know where the attitude comes from but there appears to be this "little cartridge" snob attitude among folks on here that they occupy some higher moral ground because they use cartridges burning no more than 50 grains of powder;and anyone using a 300 magnum or some such is automatically labeled a "spray and pray" type driven by some egotistical megalomania...which is utter nonsense. It just gets tiring reading this stuff from people who should know better smile

I don't know why you would want to avoid an outfitter who has farm fields in the northern zone...the line( at least where I hunted in the eastern part of the province), has lots of farm fields to the north of the line. I know this because I have hunted them and killed bucks on them.One , in particular was right on the boundary and the field I hunted was "legal" while the one behind me and across a dirt road, was not.

And not all hunting is done over bait...at least not the fields I hunted were baited...they were grain fields but not "baited".I hunted lots of them. If I were not allowed to do so, the wardens who saw me doing it would have locked me up! smile

Invariably though,stands set back in the bush are baited.

Unless the laws have changed dramatically since I was there,if you are under the misconception that a non resident alien cannot hunt a farm field, someone has given you the wrong information.(Usually the outfitters) You can hunt anything north of the line,farm field or bush.

Bob, I am going to play the anti-hero here and snub anyone not touching off 100 grains of powder, which my ultra bests by a grain...
In all seriousness most any rifle cartridge works on deer, including the .223 which I have used. I happen to use mostly 300 mags for deer hunting because my favorite guns are chambered in them. I also find that all things being equal as it pertains to placement and bullet quality a 300 mag anchors them with more authority and this can be important, especially given the property situation here in MI. I hunt one property that only 7 acres and another thats a real narrow and long 80.