Originally Posted by shrike
I must agree with Kutenai, for the world I can not see why one would want to take a marginal caliber after spending all that money on a once a life time hunt.
Yes, yes, the .243 will get it done if placement is done as it should, if good bullets are used etc.
On this once a lifetime expensive hunt use the biggest hammer you can shoot well.
I am thinking of 30-06 with 180 grain NP, 270 with 150NP, .300 Win and similar class cartridges. Bullets that are heavy and expand well, yet will punch through and make big holes in and out, leaving pronounced blood trails. Animals with big holes through the vitals die faster as those with small holes through the vitals.
You want your buck to drop there and then or failing that, after a short death run. If there is a lack of snow, tracking in hip or waist high grass, alders, willows etc is hellishly difficult.
Remember dogs are not allowed for tracking. Even finding the precise spot where you hit your animal can be sometimes very difficult. The more blood, Bone splinters and hair, the merrier.
There is a big difference between collecting trophies and collecting meat.
As a local meat hunter one gets often multiple chances in a season.
Using a .243 class rifle waiting for the right shot is just fine.
Tourist hunters may only get just one chance on a big buck. He will not care whether he looses meat. He wants to collect those antlers, when an opportunity arises. Biggest hammer that he shoots well, is what he needs.

Your talkin' 35 Whelen here