Montana deer are pretty close, at least geographically to Saskatchewan deer, and if anything, somewhat smaller.
Over the 22 years I have lived in Montana, I have seen an average of 4 non residents come to Montana to hunt deer and elk, plus have hunted with usually 2 or 3 , at least other hunters. That adds up to at least a significant amount of field experience.
When someone shows up to go deer hunting, I prefer them to have at least a 7 magnum, and a 300 winchester magnum is better or even a 338.
I cringe when someone shows up with a 308, 7/08 or 270.
The reason being, year after year, you can take the guys with the magnums to your favorite hunting spot and they will usually do very very little damage to the deer and elk population. The hunt often begins with several warning shots that come close enough to scare the deer and elk into hiding on the nearby private land. A couple of weeks later, those deer and elk wander back where I can hunt them.
Now, those bastids that bring the 308s, 7/08s, 308s, for over 20 years I have had to watch them as they head back home with their tags filled with what I consider MY game.
One sum mitch had the gall to show up this year with a TIKKA, a stinkin' Tikka, in 308, and, even worse, a stinking fixed power Leupold in 6 power. Three shots later, and three deer later (couple doe tags), he's done huntin'. He claimed the mule deer buck was 377 yards away when he shot, but I lazered it, and it was only 374. Any fool knows a 308 wouldn't kill a mule deer buck at 377 yards.
Another thing I like to see is for people that don't practice much, is to have lots of dials on their scopes, and to bring a new rifle in the latest caliber each year.
You'd probably be hard pressed to find a more inept hunter on the 'Fire than me, but these are just my somewhat tongue in cheek observations over several years, nothing more.
Royce