Agreeing on what is a marginal caliber.
A marginal caliber for a certain species is a caliber that can get the job done when all conditions are just right.
Meaning not too far, very light wind, animals body positioned just right.
Unfortunately many, if not most hunters when faced with a marginal shot at the end of a long fruitless day will give it a try even when armed with a marginal caliber. That is a problem.
Unless a person is very young or an older person with a handicap such as bursitis in the shoulder, not being able to handle any recoil, I see little excuse in using marginal calibers under field conditions.
The I want to prove that it can be done phrase is a poor excuse to allow an animal crawl away and face an agonizing death, just to enhance the misplaced self esteem of someone.
Bullet placement is everything. Yes it is with a caliber/bullet combo that will expand and penetrate the bullet style sufficiently for the species hunted. The saying to match the caliber and bullet to the game is correct.

The ideal caliber for a certain species is a caliber/ bullet combo that gets the job done even under unfavourable conditions.
Meaning at extended distance, unfavourable body positions of the animal, under mild windy conditions.

to me extended range is under field conditions in Alberta in November when it is sometimes darned cold, is 400 yards max with no or little wind and a very good rest.
I practise on the range a lot at that distance. I know that still at 400 yards my bullets will open up sufficiently for a reliable kill. I like to stress that I rarely take that 300+yard shot under field conditions due to the ever lasting wind on the prairies and often biting cold and frequent lack of a good rest.
I will if possible try to close the distance as much as possible. At that range I will not shoot unless the animal is broadside or almost broadside just to take another variable out of the equation.
Someone else may have an entire different comfort range.
Most of my shots at deer have been well under 200 yards. I prefer to keep I that way.

I regard the .270 Win and 06 class cartridges with quality bullets a safe standard for Alberta white tails and mulies.

Last edited by shrike; 10/21/13.