Good question, although, for much western Canadian deer hunting, all BS aside, it is hard to imagine a "better" cartridge than the lowly .308Win.

I much prefer it to the .30-06 and I have owned/used at least a dozen fine .06s, but, my carefully customized P-64-70-fwt.-.30-06, must weigh almost a full pound more than the custom .308 I mention above.

The .308 gives good accuracy with 180s at, usually, 2675, the .30-06 drives them to 100 fps. more and for the 100 fps. difference, the .308 is nicer to carry all day, especially in BC's mountains at my age.

I also have a light, CRF .308Norma, about 8.25 lbs. all up and this is my choice as THE .308" bored cartridge of all. It weighs about a half pound more than my .30-06 and drives the 180s to just at 3000.....so, WHERE does one "draw the line"????

I can, when in practice, shoot all of these well, ( for an old guy ) and for general BC uses, where Moose, especially bull Elk and the frequent Grizzly encounters we experience, I feel that the Norma round IS more capable than the smaller cased ones....but, in five years, in my then early 70s, well, who knows?

I hope to hunt Sask. and would LOVE to hunt a Pronghorn in AB. this year or next and this kind of discussion is both informative and really enjoyable, for me, anyway! smile