Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by SAKO75
in sask most shots for non-resident aliens are 150 yards or less so a magnum is for ego IMO

Well.....maybe. But I have killed a couple at 300-350 yards up there. Others at shorter distances.I have used a 300 magnum on them and ego had not a thing to do with it.It just completely overwhelmed them.

Mostly I have used a 270 up there but don't kid myself that it's as potent a cartridge as a 300 magnum. It simply isn't. Neither is a 308.

A .300 Magnum isn't as potent a cartridge as a 20mm mounted gun, either. But there comes a point when enough gun is enough gun. More gun doesn't necessarily yield "more" results, and I think that's what we're discussing here- how much is "enough".

A more appropriate conversation would be how much bullet is enough. wink I would have zero hesitation shooting the biggest buck alive from the worst angle with a .243 80gr TTSX, but I wouldn't feel overly confident doing same with a round of 80gr Fed blue box. A 180gr Fed blue box in .300 Mag wouldn't concern me nearly as much, and I think that's where the .300 really starts to show its value on deer over smaller chamberings. The smaller and faster the cartridge, the more I feel that I need a premium bullet to increase my probability of success.