Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by reelman
I see pictures all the time with the serial number blocked out or people putting XXX at the end so as to not say it's actual serial number. Why? Are people that paranoid that the government is going to track down their guns?

No, just that people realize there are dicks in the world. Lets say I consider you a [bleep]. I see a gun you have a photo of and for fun I report a gun being stolen, here's the serial number. It gets entered into the system.

You sell the gun, gun is checked and is listed as stolen. People can do it for insurance fraud.

People can also try to sell your gun.

Lets say you post 14 pics of your NEWLY bought Smith & Wesson Model 29, along with serial number.

I lift the pictures, along with the serial number and post it on Gunbroker. Some guy sends me a check for a gun I don't own. I now 'disappear' and he's looking for me and his money.

Oh, but they have the serial number so maybe the cops can track it down.

Hey, serial number XYX was sent to Joe's Gunshop in Mooseballs, WI. Lets go there. He, Fred at Joe's Gunshop shows the gun was sold to YOU. Cops show up at door wondering why you took money for gun you never sold, something like fraud or something. Sure, you didn't do any of that, the guy that thought you a dick did.

But guess what, the problem is now in your lap.

I've never seen the serial number of a gun enhancing photos. I do know of the Gunbroker type scam happening.

If you want to post them, post them, I don't give a shiet. Just like you shouldn't give a sheit if I don't want to post pics of the serial numbers.

Sounds like you've done this before . . . . blush

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.