Friends:

As a service I'm posting more about Newfoundland. A 29 minute video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdnDeXuRzDo

I know the narrator, Peter Fiducia, and his wife, personally and see him about once a year. He is also a prolific author of many books.

Keep in mind:

Those are "Woodland" caribou. Not the same as the migratory barren ground caribou found in Quebec, the Mid-west, West Canada and Alaska. These can't migrate the same because Newfoundland is a BIG island. They disperse/scatter in the summer and do go to the coast in winter. When they are travelling a herd may take half an hour to cross a road. Motorists are stuck and have to wait it out.

The moose racks do not get enormous like the Alaska moose. 50 inches is big. I think about 54" is just about tops. But body size is NOT small. They are BIG animals.

When I hunted caribou there two animals were allowed. I only wanted one. Some others took two. There were 6 of us in that camp. By Wednesday everyone had limited out and we all evacuated by helicopter, about a 1/2 hour flight from a very small, remote village with a road.

There was also caribou hunting in Labrador in the winter from snowmobiles. A female hunt cost $900 back in those days. You could expect 35 degrees below zero Fahrenheit

I spoke to outfitters about a year ago. Things have changed. NOT as many animals. They jacked up prices according to the supply and demand rules. It is cyclical according to biologists. Seems that about every decade there is an up/down population increase - decrease. In this world today take that with a grain of salt as they say. I really don't know. But putting the brakes on hunting, pricewise, will increase population. I don't have, as yet, any medical/biological info that is definitive and/or reliable.

Words of advice. Check it out carefully. Don't book anywhere that people can drive to. Either fly in by chopper or ATV. Some areas have more animals than others. Up north the natives told me that in the summer, along one road, over a stretch of 10 or 20 miles they could count 130 moose lounging by the side of the road.

In the caribou camp it rained heavily and we were all inside. I suited up in rain gear and went out for a walk. I didn't take 300 steps until I say a stag probably not more than 150 - 200 yards from me. He just looked at me. It's possible that this is the first time he ever say a human being. I slowly back pedaled and the guides all saw me. They all rolled out. They were all in a separate, adjacent cabin. My bunk mate came out half dressed, rifle in hand, and promptly dispatched the stag. It couldn't have been more than 400 yard from the cabin.

I jazzed him and told him I had come out the night before and tied it up for him. He just looked at me and smiled.

If you don't get your animal in the first couple of days you may have a LOT of walking to do. Be in shape. And I do mean a LOT of walking and probably long shots 300 yards or more.

Those Canadian guides are phenomenal. You may walk for hours. When you connect they skin and dismember it. They will back pack 100 pounds or more and carry it back, walking hours. One guide, the last to connect, came back late afternoon with the second animal and he looked like death warmed over. The anguish on his face was shocking. He was truly at the end of his rope with the gas tank empty. Talk about guts, stamina and determination.

I'll leave the bird shooting and Atlantic Native Salmon fishing for some other time.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 09/12/15.