I might share my thoughts on this. It's probably somewhere between the two,but if the participants are happy, then that is all that matters.

There is a high fence business about 6 miles from me. Quite a few years ago, the cost was $1000/point ( $12K for a 6x bull)

I bought hay there for quite a few years and knew the foreman quite well.

Each year, in December or January, he culled several bulls out that didn't look like they would amount to much.These were shot,dressed out and hauled to Denver to slaughter house that sold them to restaurants.

One year,I was out of work due to a back that went south on me and couldn't hunt. The foreman knew about it and called me to see if I wanted one of the bulls.These were all spikes and he knew I much preferred elk over beef. I think I paid about$800 for it

So one cold morning,I drove over. He drove his truck with a bed mounted winch on it. We we walked into the enclosure,walked about two hundred yards around a small hill and killed one of the bulls at about 60 yards with my 7 mag that the foreman pointed out.

We went back and got the truck, then drove to the elk. The foreman( Mike)gutted it for me and then we winched it on to the truck. He used the tractor to lift the elk off his truck and on to mine.

Once home,I used my tractor to hang it, then processed it to the freezer.

Not much different than killing a beef,except I usually kill the beef where I can lift it with the tractor.

Not really hunting I would say.Just filling the freezer. I certainly would not of had it mounted and hung in my den as a trophy even if it was 400 class bull

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles