Originally Posted by smokepole

So, again the question, which part would you make illegal?

1.The "driving" part? Would you outlaw deer drives too?

2.The "fair chase" part? Lot's of people consider high fence hunts to be outside the realm of fair chase. So would you outlaw all high fence operations?

3.The elk farming/selling part? If you'd make elk farming illegal, on what basis, because they're game animals?

4.Because you like to think of them as American Indians do, whatever that means? American Indians did lots of hunts we wouldn't consider fair chase, keep that in mind.

5. All kinds of game animals and game fish are farmed. Salmon and pheasants and chukars and deer to name a few. It's how restaurants in the US are able to serve game meat.

Would you make raising game birds like pheasants illegal?

6. If you'd make raising elk illegal, on what basis? If I own land and raise cows for meat, why should you be able to tell me I can't also raise elk for meat?

7. Or, charge someone $10k for the privilege of shooting a bull, if I choose to?

OK, deep breath, You ask a LOT of ??? fairly.

Let me lay a basis first please. I DON'T consider myself superior, nor others inferior. IF any of you spent time w/me hunting or not, you would not think I'm a snob. I'm not and I don't act and/or think that way.

#2.In general I'm opposed to hunting SMALL acreage HI fence hunting of captive deer-elk-bison etc.

If someone has LARGE acreage inside Hi fence where animals are free to do their thing, that's one thing. Specifically I'd describe myself opposed to CALLING a game 'shoot' hunting

# 1. I addressed my opinion ON the description given in the OP. That seemed TO ME a whole lot different from what we commonly consider deer drives. Limiting the 'shooter' to THE bull KNOWN for rack measurements etc. I've never observed nor participated in a deer drive "LIKE" what was described.

Also per #2. I'm opposed to CALLING it 'hunting' when/where the animals cannot avoid the 'shooter'

#3. I understand farming, cattle, bison, pheasant, fish etc.
I don't call it fishing in a "barrel". NO I wouldn't make farming illegal---just don't call it Fair Chase Hunting.

#4. IF we, like the American Indians, depended upon wild game for for subsistence w/o modern firearms, Binos, LRFs, 4 wheelers, 4X4 vehicles etc. etc.
---I/we would do what we HAD to do to survive.
---Hunting today normally is NOT subsistence hunting.

#5. I feel I covered with #3.

#6. You/anyone can legally farm/sell/butcher anything, just don't call it 'HUNTING' and especially FAIR CHASE. IMO

#7. I like how you described "the privilege of shooting", no, not illegal but it's NOT necessarily hunting.
------------------------------------------------------------

Part of this comes under 'semantics'-- how we describe/understand wording.

Part of this has to do with how we were raised and what we consider "ethical".

I've done my best to accurately answer your ??? and I didn't mind. However I'm not going to spend time debating the minute details others might have.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!