Originally Posted by jorgeI

You got me...on both counts... I'm very coordinated when it comes to walking (or flying)fine lines. In my old line of work it was sort of a job requirement for staying alive. Some, no many of you posited some very valid positions and then again some have not.

Originally Posted by jorgeI

PS: tTo the other poster, there were NO tags on these elk for chrissake!

Ok, wasnt going to pick on you anymore Jorge (or Pugs who is apparently staying out of it at this point grin) , but I'll run through this one more time.

Of course there is no tag involved. Private owned elk, on privately owned land--like it is in most western states--is regulated by Idaho Dept of Agriculture. That should tell you something right there.

OF COURSE the guide isn't going to take you over to the 8ft high, woven wire fence, and tell you, "this is how we keep the elk in so you can shoot them".

OF COURSE, the management isn't going to take you to the elk facilities and show you "this is where the elk are bred", "this is where the elk are born", "this is the squeeze chute where we inject antibiotics into these(very) valuable elk because they are quite susceptible to disease when kept together year 'round", and "this is where we open the gate shortly before the hunters arrive and slap 'em in the butt and say sayonara little buddies it was good knowing ya'".

Now, about fine lines and matter of degrees: When it comes to high fence hunting it ain't close--it's in a different solar system.

There is no legitimate sport hunting organization I'm aware of that considers high fence hunting ethical. When Broadmouth's website declares a "517 point World Record Elk", that's an absolute lie.

And the rest of their well written website (I swear, it could be canonized) says things like "fair chase feeling" and "preserve", it is written for the uninitiated and/or to assist in any rationalization.

I have my criticisms of compound bows in regular archery seasons, of long range hunting, annd I can even (barely) understand some hunters and nonhunters distaste for hound hunting and baiting for bears--but unlike Broadmouth's 100% "chance" of success, all the above mentioned are far from a sure bet. The aforementioned are a matter of degree, 100% "chance" is not.

So, as far as flying the fine line is concerned, you were subject to review by your superiors and your peers every minute you were in the cockpit. And I really doubt you were not ever critiqued and criticized for your some of your choices while in the cockpit.

So sailor, all I can say is welcome to the Campfire Debriefing and Review Board.

wink

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.