Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by jorgeI
IF the animal I hunted, sorry, shot had CWD, I would not be able to take the meat. As to the OP, HAVING BEEN THERE and nobody else here has, and witnessing an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT scenario, we'll have to agree to disagree... I had a GREAT time on my HUNT.

Not so, buddy.

I respect you to, but I don't get the "not so" .

Even if the critter had tested positive for CWD, you could have - if you chose to do so - kept the meat. CWD has not been shown to be transmissible to humans, and the prions are not generally present in the meat, only the central nervous system and certain bodily secretions of the animal.

The problem with CWD is that it's a prion disease. Once it's somewhere, it's essentially there for good. They don't break down, they cannot be mitigated or destroyed (not even an autoclave will do it), and they are persistent, virulent pathogens.

Like it or not, the animal husbandry practices around deer and elk ranching (whether for meat, "trophy breeding", or for shooting operations, as well as those kept for the scent lure industry) are the prime sources of outbreaks and transmission. This is a subject and a problem that sportsmen are going to have to face and should face.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.