Originally Posted by T_Inman

I saved my pennies and went to NZ last year and killed a stag and a tahr. I had one day left, and decided to do a chamois hunt. Due to time constraints, I went for the helo hunt. At first when we were chasing them around the mountain I was thinking "this isn't for me" but decided to go for it anyhow, because it is a New Zealand thing...

Anyhow after spotting a good ram, I was dropped off and the pilot chased it towards me. I quickly learned that making a responsible shot at a chamois bouncing along on cliff faces was MUCH harder than it seems to be. I led him a bit too much and/or he turned just as I touched off a shot, taking the back of his head off.

Well, they decided to let me also shoot a ewe so I could have a serviceable cape. This time, I shot directly from a hovering helo with a scoped rifle. Again, this was MUCH harder than one would think, due to the vibrations and other distractions. I really bore down and made a great 80 or so yard shot. It was a great "shoot", if one wants to call it that, that was seriously one of my more proud achievements, once I had time to think about it.

My chamois is now mounted (ram's horns/ewe cape) on my wall and I am just as proud of the whole situation as my DIY Montana wilderness wolf, and some of the DIY elk and mule deer I have taken over the years.

If I can ever afford to go back to NZ, I wouldn't mind stalking a chamois that I spotted from the bottom (like I did with my tahr) so I can say I have done it both ways. Both techniques have their challenges, as I found out.

That is absolutely disgusting! mad mad mad

You made me puke! mad mad mad