Yes.....

The poster was VERY deceptive on his replies, even though he CLAIMED he had a 1000 yard match to shoot 2 months after the INCIDENT. He also claimed he was using factory ammo, I believe because weatherby may not back up his claims if they knew he was a 1000 yd shooter, which to me means he reloads......

Darned near everything in his post was suspicious, he said he had several weatherby's and his premis for this was "he is a loyal Wby guy, not a basher", but when I mentioned IMHO if he had several Wby's, he must surely have a backup, as his biggest gripe was Wby told him, once they received it, the Q had it sitting for a month before they could even look at it, let alone determine if his " nationally known gunsmith" who claimed it indeed was a stretched action was correct.

Just mentioned this as there are many ways a person can screw up a rimfire rifle, let alone centerfires which can be handloaded and screwed up from poor reloads. And there are idjuts out there who post how poorly Wby treated them, but with feedback one can assume the operator is usually the issue, the gun's failure may be a consequence of handloading/ mistakes. It is the BENCHREST SHOOTER" who thinks he couldn't have made a mistake that makes for good entertainment.....

Waiting patiently to see more from our good friend Mr Howell on more input. I am sure , if the blowup turns out to be correct, we all could learn from the failure analysis information.

And to the 9 lugs issue, surely most edjucated individuals could guess not all of the 9 need to fully support the cartridge's rearward movement at ignition to be stronger than 2 or 3 lugs, and indeed 2 lugs with full content could be stronger than 9 poorly fitted smaller lugs. In failure mode analysis, one would see that if lets say the 3 "good" lugs that support the initial load from the cartridge moving rearward can physically ( elastically) move rearward, until more contact from other lugs are made, which then add to the initial strength of the support. Movement of metal, below yield strength, is not a bad thing. Ed Weatherby's design gives a SAFETY FACTOR that other rifles do not have, and this is why the design is better than most bolt rifles, and has been proven to withstand higher pressures than I suspect ANY OTHER BOLT GUN in mass production.

His design has been proven, 9 perfect lugs are not needed, but create a bigger safety factor than other designs, considering good quality materials are employed.

Allen

BTW, My next probable purchase would be another ultralight in 25 caliber. Somehow I have an itch for a lighter 25-06 class gun than my 25-06 medium weight barreled Ruger tang safety that is a pretty heavy carry gun.