I agree with DR. Howell. I own a MK5 in 30-378. While I believe the action is strong I WILL NEVER FIRE FACTORY LOADED AMMO AGAIN.

When I first bought it, I got 2 boxes of Weatherby ammo loaded with 180 grain Barnes X bullets. The first shot it blew the primer. I foolishly kept shooting thinking this was just a fluke. after the first box, I was sighted in and it actually shot very accurate. I chronographed 2 rounds out of the second box, I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was over 3500 fps!

upon opening the first box I had fired, there was three primers that had fallen out by just getting bounced around. all of the primers had blow-by, black around them.

I contacted Weatherby about it, they thought it may be the chamber in the gun, so I sent it back. they reported nothing wrong with it.I cant believe that ammo was loaded that hot.

I still shoot the gun, and it has been a very accurate rifle. But my hanloaded 180's leave the muzzle at 3410, not 3500+!

Ken, if the MK5 is as flawed as you lead on to be, I would like to know. or is it mostly factory Weatherby ammo?

while I like my Weatherby's,but I am not so loyal as to endanger myself.