I thought about this photo when I first saw this thread. This photo is NOT of a Weatherby! It apparently occurred in mid-2004, and a recall resulted for affected Sako & Tikka barrels. The shooter was said to have both arms under the rear of the stock, and was not seriously injured. .300 Winchester mag factory ammo.

[Linked Image]

Again, NOT of a Weatherby. The point is that even reputable modern makers can have quality lapses.

We have a member here who over the years observed several Weatherby ammo problems as a rangemaster, and a thread at the other website is reporting pressure problems with new Weatherby ammo. I have personally had 2 boxes of factory .25-06 ammo that was way off spec, luckily on the low side. If you take ammo that is normally loaded to the hot side, and throw in a handful of bad parts, things can logically get nasty.

All that said, I'd still consider a Weatherby, if it happened to be in a useful caliber/rifle, at a good buy. Ruger and Remington both have made rifles in Weatherby Calibers, and I'd consider one of them, too. After thinking it over, however, I think handloading is indicated. I like that Weatherby builds their Mark V in the US, and I hope they can quickly get to the bottom of this and resolve the problem, or prove these failures are nothing more than rumors.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."