Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember anything being posted that stated that the problem ammo was Weatherby brand.

I don't remember seeing it on this forum or the Wby. forum. Does anyone know for certain that it is Weatherby brand ammo that is causing the alleged problems?

As far as the 9 lugs vs. 2 lugs, somewhere in the Weatherby catalog it states that the 9 lugs have more surface area than the two lug actions.

With the gas ports in the Wby. bolt, I just do not understand how the firing pin mechanism blew out of the rear of the bolt. I also don't understand how the bolt could have sheared off all 9 lugs, in addition to the bolt handle and come out of the rear of the receiver.

It seems to me that with as much pressure involved as alleged on these threads that the brass case head would have melted.

Even if the cartridge gave 100,000 PSI, the case head of a .300 Wby. is only about 1/4 of a square inch, (.221 by my calculations) so the pressure against the bolt face would only be in the range of 25,000 PSI. Of course, the base of the .378 is a bit larger than the .300, but in square inches, just a small amount.

These incidents might have indeed taken place, but until I see pictures and well documented results as to the cause, I will remain skeptical.

I will research it later, but IIRC, Gen. Hatcher tested .30-06 loads up to 125,000 PSI in the 03 Springfield and it stayed togather, and the I think the Mk V action is as least as strong as the 03 action, and would handle the escaping gas from a ruptured case much better.

If I have my figures right, the 125,000 PSI was determined by the copper crusher guage pressure measuring device. It has been proven that the copper crusher guage read less than actual pressures, so the actual pressure of the test loads Gen. Hatcher fired would be in the range of 140,000 to 150,000 PSI, or maybe even more.

My point being, if the 03 Springfield withstood this amount of pressure, the Mk V should withstand it, too.

I read somewhere, I can't remember where, of an action blowing up, and the estimated pressures were something like 200,000 PSI. I can't even remember the type action. Maybe some of the other readers can find out something about this.