That afternoon I drove back to the trailhead, hustled the few miles in and started up. I climbed and climbed and climbed. The tracks from other hunters petered out around an hour into it. At two hours they just stopped. Two more hours and I reached the first saddle, moving along to the east for another 45 minutes and spotted a couple of cows moving out of the timber slightly below me-
[Linked Image]

Further past them another 1k yards or so 6 or 7 more were in a small meadow. None of the elk that I had seen were visible at all until you got above them. And they were waaay up there...

I continued on trying to reach the spot where the herd from this morning had been. The snow was pretty deep-
[Linked Image]

And the mountain was very steep at times. It took two right at two more hours to reach the spot where the elk had been-
[Linked Image]

Unfortunately there were no elk. So I sat down, fired up the JetBoil, popped open a can of Venom that I carried for just that moment-
[Linked Image]

And even though the cold combined with the altitude tried to hamper my efforts of happiness...... They lost.
[Linked Image]

The sunset was spectacular, the Raspberry crumble was spot on, and the drink burned just right...
[Linked Image]

to be cont.....