Originally Posted by Calvin
Good write up. Curious why everybody thinks it was such a hard hunt? Nobody has ever hunted in uncomfortable conditions before?

i found it to be a well written account, and a good descriptive read.

growing up reading the adventerous stories of the great descriptive writer russell annabel, it doesn't take long to wish for another story to digest. most everyone who read his material knew that he was a writer given to some hyperbole--it was unmistakable. nevertheless, it was supposedly said that "earnest hemingway considered annabel to be the greatest writer of outdoor adventures who had ever lived..." if it is actually true that he made that statement, it is quite a compliment, considering hemingway's talent. i enjoyed russell's writing alot, despite any of the obvious hyperbole. he could paint with words. one major purpose of writing is to "give someone the hint to go and see for yourself..."

growing up hunting, hiking, and climbing in this terrain--it is easy to see the situation in a different light than those who have made comments who have not experienced firsthand the rugged vastness of mountain wilderness hiking, climbing, and hunting.

as an example, i've left the vehicle at 2 am and climbed up several thousand feet through 10-12 inches of snow to arrive at a specific destination for ideal hunting--5 hours in. no big deal there. in better weather; summer & fall season conditions, my wife and i have gone in as far as eleven miles one way--with 6000 feet elevation gain on the route, in as little as 5 1/2 hours--and returning to the vehicle in just under 11 hours. we did a trip even more grueling than that, with her being 7 months pregnant, and a class 4 section along the route, and were back at the car in under 12 hours. no big deal there either. i would honestly consider us to be in less than "so-so" physical condition. one trip we did took us 8 hours one way--with 7000 feet elevation gain, and we ran into some yuppie punks dressed in light gear who passed us like we were standing still. at that point we were 7 hours in, and they had done that stretch in 2 hours and 15 minutes. to those that live here and do this, it is not superhuman stuff--just adventuresome hunting/hiking/climbing that takes some effort/work.

these comments are not made in any way to take away from Form's adventure--far from it, as he has what it takes--and to come here from half the continent away--not really knowing the terrain, etc., and take on this type of adventure "solo" is a very commendable skill/deed; and to captivate an audience with the writing of the tale is a great skill as well.

my comments are only given to put the adventure into some perspective for those who have never done this type of adventure.

to those of us who live, hunt, hike, and climb in this mountainous terrain it is usually easy to discern the occasional hyperbole contained within a written narrative in order to spice up a story and captivate an audience--allowing others to live the tale through the wonder of words...

congrats to you on bagging your elk, and experiencing a true montana hunting adventure in the mountains, and taking the time and effort to share your experience with all of us!

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...