Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by bwinters

Curious how you maintain a high level of fitness. I've missed a bunch of workouts since hunting seasons arrived and am designing a new workout schedule. Its alot easier to simply stay in shape than to get back into shape.

That's very true. One of the best things one can do is to not allow themselves to fall too far out. It also differs by person. A Clydesdale is probably going to hurt himself trying to be a Gazelle. Having said that, someone that looks like a malnurished african runner (speaking to you endurance people) is no more uaeful and probably less so in real life than a guy who is hugely muscular but can't maintain effort for more than 30 seconds. You need both forms for hunting, with a bit biased on the strength/sprint side.

As important to working out is food. This is where the vast majority struggle. There is so much BS on what to eat its not even funny. It's actually very simple; lots of protein, lots of vegetables, little carbs, and no sugar. If you are overweight or doing lots of endurance events (marathons) you will need to tweak that a bit- i.e. if your running for 2-3 hours a day, you will probably need more carbs than if you're not.

My workouts depend on what I'm doing or preparing to do however, strength is the basis of true fitness. I don't mean Arnold or fat power lifter, but pure lean strength (lifting heavy things). Followed by sprints (repetitive all out effort with short breaks between), rucking (hiking) and then a base level of running endurance.

Honestly I really don't love working out. And I might take a few weeks to a month off every once and a while. But I am required to maintain fitness. Below are my standards for what I do. Some are required, and some are my own, but I do not let myself fall below these-

185lb bench press- 20 reps
185lb back squat- 20 reps
225lb deadlift- 25 reps
Strict pull-ups- 18 reps
400m sprint- sub 60 seconds
5 mile run- 40 minutes
12 mile ruck with 72lbs- sub 3 hours

How someone works out will depend on their goals, body size, past injuries, etc.

Damn, reminds me of a youth we mentored in shooting that was training for Delta at the time. Flat amazing to me anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....