Originally Posted by 4th_point
I recall Frank Galli (Lowlight at Snipershide) stating, "Leupold fails the most, Nightforce the least, and S&B somewhere in between." Or something to that effect, I just remember the main idea.

I know Frank used to be much more willing to share opinions on Leupold failures but I think people started getting defensive (offended). He stated numerous times that he is just relaying what is seen in his classes and others precision shooting schools. Its really no different than what Formi has been saying...

Post by Lowlight:

Re: whats wrong with leupold?

Funny, you see the truth, you point out the problems, which happen far too often, you're a hater of the company...

When class after class the number one scope to fail is Leupold, --then people claim because so many of them are out there, well these are their "tactical" scopes and not the hunting line. When we have a competition with 92 shooters and the one brand with multiple scope failures on the line is Leupold, to the point where people can no longer continue to compete, that is not hate, but a problem within the product line.

However if I see a problem and bring it to the company and they tell me we'll look into it, and I say nothing --- people also get up in arms.

When you point out the scopes "no longer" say Made in USA, people get upset with the messenger, and don't question a company who's prices have gone up, who's failure rates has increased, and who moved to second tier parts enough to lose the Made in USA tag, we are haters.

Sure plenty of scopes are made overseas, but their failure rate is not reflected on their location. For a company like NF, who is bringing things on shore, and is used every bit alongside Leupolds in the military, the failure rate cannot be compared... it's easily 5 to 1, maybe even 10 to 1. Sure Leupolds are packaged with system rifles, but that is not based on success, but volume, the ability to produce replacements better than any other company.

Are they god awful, no not at all, but really would I invest my money in one given the choices, absolutely not. Given the same budget, there are better scopes to invest in, some for less money.

I have a new M5 here to review, I think from the outside it is a decent scope, we'll see how it performs... but other companies out there are definitely beating Leupold at their own game haters or not.

Link to Lowlight post

I experienced too adjustment issues with Leupold just as Lowlight posted. RC, john Burns and a friend that is an amazing long range Hunter shooter use leupolds and have had better luck with them than I. I simply moved on have been very pleased.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first