To tell the story on the big pig, it was Friday evening, and we crossed the road to a new ranch. I drew a blind on the edge of an open field, the irrigation pivot, with the feeder near a fence and brush. Nothing showed up except about 5000 blackbirds & grackles. I was guessing with all the shooting, the pigs were starting to get spooky and would not show up until late.

It was almost past shooting light when the boar led a small group out of the brush. I could tell he was a boar in the binos, but he stayed on the other side of the fence. I was torn wondering if it was okay to take one on the other side of the fence. I also realized, he was as tall as the 2nd strand of barbed wire, a big animal. A moment later he crawled under the fence and started feeding. The rifle was my KimNor 7mm-08, which I was carrying due to the rain. Other than rezeroing for 100 yards, it was still set up from my aoudad hunt last year, a Leupold 4.5-14 and 120gr Ballistic Tips, with a warm charge of Ramshot Big Game powder. The boar gave me a broadside shot, and the Nosler broke the onside shoulder and dropped him in his tracks. He kicked for a minute and lay still. I approached him with the rifle in hand, and finally saw the big tusks, and realized I had a real beast of a boar.

Dan DeGeorge very kindly donated a Hess knife as the prize for first place, and I am most please with it:

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."