Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Kent, thank you for engaging this locally. Don't know what else to say at the moment. This path has not been my happiest adventure by a long shot and I'm very poorly located to get directly involved. Not much slows me down, but a couple of time zones and not knowing the local turf is an obstacle.

For what it may be worth, after I called the CCSO and made the request for a wellness check I received a call from the responding deputy. He asked questions about Greg, his routines, vehicle description etc. He was in a bit of a quandary about entering the property as the gate was locked and there is a no trespassing sign. It was about then that Nip came out to great him and apparently the pup was a bit overjoyed. She whined and made stressed dog sounds is the best way I can describe it. Greg's truck was visible and the deputy sounded some sort of loud buzzing horn several times w/o response. I told him to do what he thought best and let him make the call.

He went over the gate with his mic still hot. A few grunts and such, then Nip was all over him, apparently trying to jump up into his arms. He soothed her a bit and eventually I heard him pounding on the door. No response. I asked him if there was any dog food or water outside and he responded that the food bowl was empty and there was a very small amount of water left. He then told me he would call me back, that he was going to search the premises and look thru the windows where he could.

It was about 30-45 minutes later than he called back and told me that Greg had passed. I heard other officers on scene in the background and it was clear from his voice tone that he was a bit stressed, and I did not understand him the first time he told me Greg had passed. He repeated that and told me that Gracie was gone as well, then offered condolences for my loss.

He was an example of one of our finest doing a hard thing well. A salute to him and a farewell to two of my favorites.

With any luck I won't have to do this again. It cut to the core.

Dan

Dan that was a hard read, I truly appreciate you.

Kent