I'll offer a couple of more details, these from my recollection of interactions I had with Greg, with the disclaimer that my memory is far from perfect.

His dad owned one or more tramp steamers, and Greg went to sea with him at an early age, learning his way around seagoing vessels from stem to stern, and bridge. Whether he actually held or was eligible for an official license or ticket as a ship's officer I can't say. He also told me that at one time he was offered a Navy commission. He worked not only in Central America, but from what I recall from our conversations and the memorabilia he showed me, in some deep dark parts of South America as well. I also seem to recall that he learned or mastered the welding trade in the oil fields of SW Louisiana.

We shared an interest in single shot and black powder cartridge rifles, knew some of the same people and had both been screwed over by a certain individual. For reasons he never shared, he was not shooting actively or competing when I met him, but we did go the the local Sierra Vista range and shot our .22 single shots at little buffalo silhouettes at 200 yards. I got the impression that he had been instrumental in the development of the range, but later had a falling out with their establishment. No surprise, he was not one to compromise over matters of his principles. We had a good time, and he was gracious in complimenting my modest shooting skills and equipment.

He never did any major gun work for me, but he did overhaul a couple of parts, as well as the spindle on my ancient Buffalo drill press, sort of a family heirloom.

Thanks to those of you who have taken the initiative to gather info and tie up his affairs, so that he may be laid to rest in well-deserved peace.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.