Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Redneck

IMHO HD should concentrate on what they do best - and stay away from any such electric bike..

Agreed. The goose that laid the golden egg, our generation, is passing away, meanwhile I feel for all the dealers who were compelled to invest in those friggin’ Harley superstores.

In the eyes of the public Harleys ironically have become “old fat guy bikes”, if they can keep their roots alive, eventually they will be rediscovered.

Right now when I step into a Harley mall I see Sportsters and “Streets”, both too small for all-day passengers, then it jumps up to friggin 800+lb motorized sofas that most folks couldn’t pick up by themselves if they fell over. I wish there were a range of bikes in between.
HD actually has added several models to that 'mid-range' area over the last couple years.. And more and more younger riders are gravitating to those - at least, that's what I see when I drop in to the biggest dealer in the area (St. Paul HD). I had an HD Switchback for about three years. Smaller, lighter, but rode pretty rough (Dyna suspension).. Traded it last year for a Street Glide. MUCHO better (full touring suspension).. But then I tend to ride anywhere from 100-300 miles/day when the weather permits and I don't get tired/stiff from its use..

Most damning in my mind tho is that the dealerships will not work on bikes over a certain age, proof-positive IMHO that Harley has lost its soul.
That's not limited to HD.. Few dealers will work with any bike over 12-15 years old, if for no other reason than parts may not be available.. That's the main reason I sold my '87 Kawasaki Voyager 1300-6 after 18 years of solid, reliable operation.. I knew that if something finally gave way I'd not be able to get it fixed.. It was time to get rid of it.. Helluva bike, though...especially at that time..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!