Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Reba
OK, You got dirt bikes, sport bikes and image bikes.

The Harley rider is an image rider and is going the way of the dinosaur.
Yeah, and dudes on sport bikes have zero image, right?
Harley management knows this and is trying to find another market.
And they're workin' on it..

I am in Kalifornia and half the Harley dealerships of 20 years ago are out of business. .
That's because yer in Kalifornia.. With all the regs, taxes, BS laws and a flaming libby gov't, it's a wonder any business is still in CA... smile smile

Over the past 17'ish years I've lived in areas that are considered meccas for bikers.

I ain't seen any shortage of Harley's. Might not be as popular as the 90's and early 2000's but they're not going anywhere.
Agreed.. In this area HDs outnumber the rest by a factor of 3-1..

A lot of Harley's up here in NW Pa. too. I rode for almost 40 years, and my main transport was a bike. Most of the time, it was a Japanese sport bike, but I put an awful lot of miles on a BMW R100RS. Got my first Harley, a 2005 Sportster, in 2006. I no longer rode as if every day, was race day. The bike was inexpensive to run, and pretty darn entertaining, without going over 100mph. Recently got a 2009 Lowrider, and though I only have about 1000 miles on it so far, I'm favorably impressed. Nice looking, economical, entertaining. I like the retro look and feel, with modern reliability. I think that is a big part of the Harley appeal. The live wire looks to be an attempt to stick a foot in the door, just in case they can gain some sort of advantage, should a trend for electric bikes occur. I can't imagine they expect it to be very profitable, but probably look at it as advertising.