Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by deflave
Birdwatcher used to ride at such a high rate of speed that no Harley rated his purchase.

So I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

Exactly so, turns out two slow-revving seriously undersquare air-cooled pistons rising and falling nearly simultaneously while attached to an actual separate and heavy transmission intrinsically ain’t THE best setup for lightweight speed and agility. Even on a Sportster ridden on the straights (which don’t count) even the 1,000cc Virago I was on at the time would walk away. He topped out at about 115, I still had about another 5mph left, we demonstrated this many Sunday mornings. He later became split pelvis guy, came off and hit the steering head on the way off,still rides tho.

But more’n anything, if you left your Harley regularly parked ANYWHERE back then, the local Outlaw club would stop by, lift it into the back of a van, and be on their way.. IIRC all they had to do was switch out the cases and Shazzam! It was a whole ‘nother Harley.

You might be too young to remember those bad old days.

I get it.

You were just too fast for those Harley's.

It wasn’t just me, LOTS of motorcyclists were that way, still are.

But more’n anything it was the theft issue, else I prob’ly woulda been flogging a Sportster for a period of time. But when your bike is your only transportation, it’s gonna get parked places, and back then if it was a Harley it was just a matter of time.

What happened to your sedan with AC?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]