Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by flagstaff

if I had to place a finger on a map for you of the places mentioned above, it would be Pocatello or Idaho Falls.

With mo' preference to Idaho Falls....................

MM

Ive lived in both places, much prefer Poky. Shopping is lousy, but the social scene, the weather, and the sense of community is much, much better. The University adds SOME "culture" (whoohoo, we get the Gatlin brothers this Fall!). That 90 days of cloud cover in winter over IF is a bitch.. That and if you don't work at the site, and aren't mormon, your social circle tends to get very small.

Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

I just saw dutch's post, I can't disagree anymore with the comments on coaches and kids dropping friends that way. I have NEVER EVER seen that. and if it was known members of the church would come rushing in to the defense of the non member kids and parents.

Look, the redhead is a former member, my father in law is a member, my farm manager is a member. All my farm neighbors, except one, are members. My neighbor here in Poky is the Stake President. I live behind the Zion curtain. By choice, and I'm happy to live here. Mormons are, on the whole, good people (like people anywhere, really).

But you, mormons, have blind spots, and I've seen friend's kids get benched as seniors, I've seen girls dump boys when they didn't respond to pressure to attend church, and yes, I've seen the deliberate "recruitment" effort aimed at newcomers and kids. All with the best intentions, and with kindness and good will in their hearts..... but the end result is still the same. Kids not understanding why their friends don't want to hang out anymore, young adults with broken hearts, etc.

Sic Semper Tyrannis